Wednesday, January 23

~The Elven-names~ A Terrible Situation that gets WORSE


"Archer?" Matt looked confused.

I could feel my face grow red. "I-um-uh-sorta...named you, after we met in the forest."

He grinned. "Well, you know my real name now."

I nodded. "So, does that have anything to do with this?"

Matt squinted. "What?"

I sighed. "Does what happened in the forest have anything to do with you coming here?

His face grew serious. "I'm supposed to keep an eye on you, make sure the Enemy doesn't learn who you are, that sort of thing. But it's not safe to talk about it here."

I nodded. "Okay. But when we're somewhere where it is safe, I want some explanations."

He laughed, and I continued home by myself.

*   *   *
 
That week at school, it seemed like I was always running into Matt. Not literally, but he was always around. He always talked to me when I walked home from school, and sometimes he'd even sit at my table at lunch. To tell the truth, it was sort of annoying.
 
On Friday, as Heather and I were at out lockers, heather was chatting away like usual, and I was getting my books. Then something Heather said got my attention.
 
"...and you have all the luck, Mir, with Matt wanting to be your boyfriend."
 
I almost dropped my books. "WHAT!!?! You're kidding, right?"
 
She looked insulted. "I'm not kidding. Everyone's jealous."
 
I took a deep breath. Do you know how I met this guy? I felt like screaming, He was aiming a bow and arrow at me! But instead I just said: "I am definitely NOT his girlfriend, Heather. He's annoying."
 
She stared at me. But he's so cute, and he's really nice. To you, anyway. He doesn't even look at the other girls."
 
I closed my eyes. "That's an exaggeration, Heather, and you know it."
 
"Well, hardly!" She shrugged. "He doesn't talk to any of the other girls, and he's alway talking to you."
 
I sighed. "Well, you can be his girlfriend if you want to be. I am not." And I walked away.
 
*   *   *
 
After school when Matt came up to me on my way out, I ignored him. As he tried to get my attention I just kept walking.
 
"Mir, there's something I need to tell you!" I heard him say. I didn't stop. People were not going to say I was Matt's girlfriend.
 
After I got home I and Gilanna were playing a game before we needed to make supper when the doorbell rang. I heard Dad go to answer it. Then I heard Dad talking angrily and the door slammed shut. And then Dad's voice came, tight and angry.
 
"Mirluin! Come here! Right. Now!"
 
I sighed and went out into the living room. "Yes, Dad?"
 
Dad's hands were clenched into fists. "Mirluin! Have you been getting into your mother's stuff again?"
 
I shook my head. "No, Dad, honest."
 
He frowned. "That was the same person I saw you with in the forest."
 
So it had been Matt at the door. Now I was annoyed. "What was he doing here?"
 
Dad crossed his arms. "He said he had a message for you."
 
I sighed. "Did he tell it to you?"
 
"No." Dad relaxed his fists. "I'll make supper. You and Gilanna need to start packing."
 
I frowned, bewildered. "Packing? Why?"
 
Dad smiled. "I got a good job offer on Wednesday. I wasn's sure about it, but this decides it. We are leaving this dratted town!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Moving is this bad?
    Your Friend
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, especially since Elven-names aren't safe outside of the havens. =P You'll have to wait and see what happens.
      P. B.

      Delete